Clean water will make or break your hiking adventures. Drinking water to keep your muscles and your brain hydrated is one of your number one priorities when planning your next adventure. If you plan on hiking for an extended period of time (days) and there are no known sources of fresh drinking water along the route you should consider a water filtration system to limit the amount of water you will need to carry which will in turn lower the overall weight of your pack.
I’ve listed a number of options below for your review.
Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter
The Personal Water Bottle Filter offers the highest level of filtration available and the quality and assurance you can expect from Sawyer. The Hollow Fiber Membrane filter effectively removes bacteria such as Salmonella, Cholera and E Coli as well as protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium without adding harmful chemicals to the water.
- 0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Removes 99.99999% bacteria and 99.9999% Protozoa
- Polypropylene and polyethylene material is easily field maintainable
- No residual chemical tastes
- Comes with manufacture’s 1 million gallon guarantee
Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
by Sawyer Products
The size, convenience, and performance of the Sawyer Mini filter make it perfect for everything from camping with the kids to traveling abroad where tap and bottle water cannot be trusted. The Sawyer Mini can filter up to 100,000 gallons of water, up to thirty times more volume than comparable filtration systems.
The Mini Water Filter is the lightest and most versatile personal filtration system from Sawyer. It weighs 2 ounces and fits in the palm of your hand. While incredibly small and convenient, this filter was tested to 10 million parts of bacteria and one million parts of protozoa without a single breakthrough, the highest testing level for filtration.
- The Sawyer Mini is ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
- High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
- Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa
- Sawyer’s certified 0.1 micron absolute filter removes bacteria and protozoa at a higher rate than accepted EPA guidelines
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
A Time Magazine “Invention of the Year” winner, LifeStraw is the most advanced, compact, ultralight personal water filter available. LifeStraw contains no chemicals or iodinated resin, no batteries and no moving parts to break or wear out. It features a high flow rate and weighs only 2oz. LifeStraw is perfect for the ultralight backpacker, traveler, boy scout, hunter, and especially for emergency preparedness.
LifeStraw filters to 0.2 microns through the use of hollow-fiber membranes, which are small tubes with even smaller pores. These pores allow water to pass, but prevent contaminants larger than 0.2 microns from flowing through. As you get closer to 264 gallons (1,000 liters), the pores will eventually become clogged with debris and the flow will stop.
- Award-winning LifeStraw has been used by millions around the globe since 2005
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction) and surpasses EPA standards for water filters
- Removes minimum 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction) and filters to an amazing 0.2 microns
- Filters up to 1000 liters of contaminated water WITHOUT iodine, chlorine, or other chemicals
- Comes in a sealed bag, perfect for storing for emergencies
Ideal for hiking, travel, and emergency preparedness, the Aquamira Frontier emergency water filter system is the perfect addition to your 72-hour emergency kit. The Frontier filter’s proprietary blend of microscopic carbon, binder and antimicrobial particles is tested and certified to remove more than 99.9 percent of cryptosporidium and Giardia while also helping improve water taste and eliminate odors. At the same time, the filter is also easy to operate: just attach and expand the straw, submerge the filter end into the water source, and drink through the straw. It’s just like drinking soda from a cup or bottle, or you can even drink directly from a water source, such as a stream or lake. And at less than 1 ounce, the Frontier slips easily into a daypack, shirt pocket, or travel bag, so it’s always ready when you need it. A single Frontier unit filters up to 30 gallons (113 liters) of water.
- Frontier Emergency Water Filter by Aquamira-Compact, Light and Effective
- Carry the Frontier Emergency Water Filter by Aquamira in your pack or pocket for safe drinking water, wherever you are. Traps 99.9 Percent of Cryptosporidium and Giardia
- Lightweight and compact emergency water filter system. Easy to use; drink directly from any water source.
- Removes greater than 99.9 Percent of Cryptosporidium and Giardia. Filters up to 30 gallons of water.
- Activated coconut shell carbon filter. Miraguard Antimicrobial Technology suppresses bacteria, algae, fungus, mold and mildew within the filter.
Used worldwide by campers, hikers, militaries, emergency organizations, and anyone else who needs to drink water of questionable quality, these Portable Aqua iodine tablets will disinfect contaminated drinking water in a pinch. The tablets–which are intended for short-term or limited emergency use only. They make most water bacteriologically suitable for drinking, proving effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed. Each Potable Aqua tablet contains 20 mg of Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide (TGHP), which liberates 8 mg of titratable iodine when released into water. Within 30 minutes, the iodine will have penetrated the cell walls of the microorganisms, rendering them inactive and making the water safe to drink. Potable Aqua tablets also neutralize the iodine aftertaste and color, helping your drinking water taste better.
- Potable Aqua Water Purification Iodine Tablets (50 Tablets)
- Iodine tablets designed to make contaminated water suitable for drinking
- Tablets prove effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed
- Intended for short-term or limited emergency use only
- Water is ready within 30 minutes; neutralizes iodine aftertaste and color
- Ideal for campers, travelers, hikers, militaries, and emergency organizations