Whether your going on a short hike for a couple of hours or your planning a longer backpacking trip a handheld GPS unit can come in handy and in some cases can save your life by keeping going in the right direction and not getting disoriented and lost.
TOP 5 Handheld GPS units based on online sales & reviews:
- Rugged handheld navigator with preloaded worldwide relief basemap and 2.2-inch color display
- WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support for fast positioning and a reliable signal
- Compatible with topographic, marine and road maps.TOPO U.S. 24K, BlueChart g2, City Navigator, etc.
- Powered with two AA batteries; waterproof to IPX7 standards for protection against splashes, rain, etc
- Support for paperless geocaching and Garmin spine-mounting accessories,Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) with optional mapping for detailed roads
Garmin eTrex 20 Handheld GPS Navigator 010-00970-10 Portable / Handheld Navigators Garmin’s eTrex GPS series offers reliable satellite navigation, making it a favorite of hikers, hunters, and geocachers. The eTrex 20 is equipped with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, a 2.2-inch color display, and ships with a worldwide basemap with relief. Add a wide array of detailed topographic, marine, and road maps, and start mapping out your next adventure. A perfect choice for hikers, hunters, and geocachers.
List Price: $ 199.99
- Features high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix for improved performance and reception in heavy tree cover or deep canyons
- Keeps track of routes, tracks and waypoints
- TracBack feature retraces user’s path on the easy-to-read LCD display
- Supports dual position readout so user can view current location in multiple formats
- Features trip computer, sunrise/sunset times, hunting/fishing information, electronic compass and barometric altimeter
The Foretrex 401 is a slim wrist-mounted GPS navigator perfect for outdoor activities that require the use of both hands. Foretrex 401 combines a high-sensitivity waterproof GPS receiver, electronic compass and barometric altimeter into a lightweight device ideal for hikers, skiers and campers. To share data easily, you can connect Foretrex to your computer with USB or just send data wirelessly to another device. Retrace Your Steps No matter where your adventure takes you, you’ll never worry
List Price: $ 199.99
- Rugged handheld navigator 2.6-inch, sunlight-readable TFT display with 160 x 240 pixel resolution
- Built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief; download Garmin Connect photos for picture navigation
- Built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass and barometric altimeter for bearing and altitude
- Share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible Garmin device users
- 1.7G of onboard memory and microSD card slot for adding a wide array of topographic, marine and road maps
The newly designed GPSMAP 62s handheld navigator features a 3-axis tilt-compensated compass, a barometric altimeter and supports Custom Maps, BirdsEye Satellite imagery (subscription required) and photo navigation. Rugged and waterproof, GPSMAP 62s employs a quad helix antenna for unparalleled reception, has a high-speed USB connection, a sleek new design and connects wirelessly to compatible Garmin handhelds.
List Price: $ 449.99
- Connect up to 5 devices at a time via Bluetooth technology. Now also compatible with the iPhone 5, new iPad, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th generation.
- Large LCD screen with backlight for night operation
- Standalone GPS datalogger stores 100+ hours of tracking data
- Extra-long battery life and 10Hz reporting rate
- Rugged and splash-proof to IPX4 standards
The Bad Elf GPS Pro shares location information with up to five iOS devices simultaneously using Bluetooth technology. Large LCD display shows critical status information about location, power, Bluetooth connectivity, and trip data storage. Record up to 100 hours of trip data for sharing and storing. Extra long battery life of up to 16 hours using Bluetooth or up to 35 hours just data logging. The rugged and splash proof enclosure stands up to outdoor use. Works with all location based apps.
List Price: $ 179.99
Price: $ 265.87
- Mark up to 5 locations
- Auto time, temperature, altitude
- Track course taken, length, speed, temp, elevation
- Precision digital compass with latitude and longitude
- Share data via social media, email or save to computer
- D-Tour GPS Receive
- Includes Time, Altitude, Temperature, Digital Compass, Trip Length & Speed
- Marks Up To 5 Locations
- Records Trips Or Workouts
- Red Color
Bushnell 360300 D-Tour GPS Receiver, Red
List Price: $ 164.08
Price: $ 79.95